The U.S. State Department advises:
Because of increasing instances of child abduction in custody cases, and a growing number of children who are the victims of trafficking or pornography, an immigration officer, airline, or travel company may ask you to provide some form of letter of consent if your child is traveling internationally with only one parent or with another adult, such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc.
Furthermore, it is required by most airlines and travel organizations to notarize the letter of consent. Notarizing the document ensures that it is valid and can be trusted.
By notarizing your document with Notarize, there is an added level of assurance. Our notarizations are digitally signed so it is immediately obvious if they are ever edited or tampered with, providing you assurance that your notarized consent cannot be altered. Also, our notarizations are linked to a digital record, ensuring any travel company or foreign agency reviewing the document that it was actually signed by you, the child’s legal guardian.
If your child is traveling, it is easy to secure a notarized travel consent form:
- Start with the standard notarized consent template provided as an example by the U.S. State Department.
- Download the Notarize App or Register Online.
- Upload the travel consent form, but DON’T SIGN IT before uploading it. You must sign before the notary public.
- Fill out the document using Notarize’s digital tools.
- Validate your identity.
- When ready, press to connect with a notary public. You’ll be connected in a live video call with a licensed notary public in less than three minutes, 24×7.
- Sign using your iPhone or Computer as the notary public watches over live video.
- Wait as the notary public notarizes your document online (typically less than one minute)
- You’re done! Download your notarized PDF. Print it or share it online.
Notarize has helped countless people with their travel consent forms. We’ve even helped parents standing in the airport who have forgotten their forms. If you need a notarized travel consent form, we’re online 24×7 and are ready to help!