The key responsibilities of a notary public are to identify the signer, witness as the customer signs the document, and record the transaction so it can be verified after the fact.
In a standard notarization, you are required to travel to meet the notary public in-person so they may witness as you sign the document. Notarize solves this challenge and allows you to connect with a notary remotely online over live video call.
To get started with a remote notarization, you’ll need a few things:
- The document that needs to be signed and notarized – don’t sign it yet! You’ll need to do so when connected with a notary. You can either have an electronic or paper copy [Notarize helps you scan any paper document].
- An iPhone, iPad or computer [Windows or Mac] with a webcam
- A good internet connection
- Your photo ID
- The last 4 digits of your SSN – it will be used to validate your identity
- A credit card to pay the fee – you will only be charged after a successful notarization